Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Armenia changes my mind!

There is so much going on in my head about this country I don't know where to begin. Yerevan is a great city of crumbling beauty. Euro classicism, Soviet majesty, Thai poverty and American economic class divides all rolled up into one with its very own social norms about family, gender roles and friendship. I actually love their conservativism...its kind of romantic, though I'm sure the oppressed minorities here would disagree.

The Villa Delenda folks (remember in my last post I said I would tell you more about them) have been great and I highly recommend this B&B if you are interested in tourism for community development. A gorgeous historic house from Yerevan's 'Belle Epoque' period that hopefully will not be torn down to make a shopping mall! Did I spell Belle Epoque wrong?

Yesterday was a very important day. Started out visiting the Armenian Genocide Museum. Had to wait an hour outside in the hot sun before I could go in because the President of Cyprus was there with his wife and entourage. Got to see him and everything, that was cool. The museum was excellent with more documentation than anyone could ever need to verify the Ottoman Empire's crimes against the Armenians.

Then I visited the National Art Gallery and got to view some European and Russian classics by the masters Botecelli, Tintoretto and Chagall. Then there were 4 floors of Armenian art which were all wonderful!

I met with my friend Nasses and an English speaking friend of his named Roland. I met Nasses and his father Hamlet in Venice 2007 on a trip to the Island of San Lazzarro delgi Armeni. I texted them in April to say I was coming and would like to see them for a cup of coffee. Well, my friend...these Armenians have set a new standard for hospitality! We went for an iced coffee and then to meet Hamlet at his friend's art studio. His friend Armand hosted us for a traditional barbecue of khoravats which is barbecued pork. OH LORDY! This stuff is GOOD!!! Hamlet is member of Armenia's artistic elite. He has been commissioned by local authorities to sculpt Anton Chekov, the Catholicos, Lenin and many other important people as well as various symbolic art installations. The Italian government even commissioned him for a work! Ok, so we are eating and talking and laughing and they're drinking vodka and we started at 3pm and at 11 I finally left and we were all so sad!!! It was a rare opportunity for me to be in male only space but wonderful none the less! I was actually sat next to Hagop Hagopian, who has been designated by the state as The People's Artist. He's considered to be the greatest living Armenian painter. Many other artists came over to meet me during the evening and it was an absolutely amazing day!

Today, I left the capital to meet my sponsored child, Melik. It was such an amazing thing come face to face with this beautiful child after writing to him for almost 3 years. Of course, I started crying as soon as he smiled at me but after a few minutes I regained my composure and we had a great visit with his mother, father and sister. After two hours we said goodbye and again it was very emotional...for me! Ha ha ha! I had to explain through the interpreter that I wasn't sad.

Now, I am in the town of Dilijan and its like Colorado here.

Tomorrow, I arrive in Georgia and the vacation ends and the work begins!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading your blob but I think I'll enjoy it even more once you get to Tbilisi

    ReplyDelete