Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm mixing up the days...only 2 & 1/2 weeks left!

Ok, this one isn't too chronological...but here goes. Went to Batumi, Kutaisi, Gonio, Vani and some other places I don't remember. Many churches and monasteries. Saw the grave of David the Builder and jumped over it...twice. He was a massive man over two meters tall and his grave is big so you're supposed to jump over it. Swam in the Black Sea...think I told you that already...

Monday night, I went to the sulpher baths here...they were why Tbilisi was built. I took a hot spring bath in pool from the 14th century!! It was HOT!

Yesterday was mybirthday, thanks for all the good wishes. Started the day meeting my friend Shota to get my tattoo. Its beautiful...it says SIKETA ARIS SISLIERE or something like that...it means KINDNESS IS STRENGTH and its in Georgian letters around my ankle. I love it!! All my tattoos were done on special days. The first one was on my mother's 60th birthday. The second one was on the last day of my 20's and the third was on my 42nd birthday in Tbilisi!

After the tattoo, the skies opened up for the biggest thunder storm I've seen in years. The shop started to flood, the electricity went out and I couldn't get out of the shop. I was running late for school but when I got there, the department got me a cake and the staff and the other international students all sang happy birthday to me in Georgian. After cake we had a brilliant lecture on Traditional Georgian Folk Music. Then we had study time as we do everyday from about 4 - 6pm. I often skip it because I am a very bad student. Anyway, I stayed and afterwards, we all went for Japanese sushi for my birthday dinner followed by a few hours in an American-styled pub with a live band that had a penchant for Hotel California by the Eagles. Love it, but three times is a bit much.

Today I met up with my friends Salome and Buka for dinner. We had traditional khachapuri, kababi and khinkhali. I really love Georgian food and its starting to show! Yikes!!!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know how to spell my own tattoo?? SIKETE ARIS SIDZLIERE!

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete